• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life insurance beneficiaries?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gerritb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

I am the owner and sole employee of a personal services corporation as a consulting engineer. I would like to buy life insurance with my wife and kids as the beneficiaries. Is it legal to buy life insurance with my corporation as the beneficiary ("key man" insurance, deductible as a business expense) and then will the assets of my company to my wife and kids on my death?

Thanks very much for any help!

Gerrit

ecmst12

I don't see why you would want to, since life insurance proceeds are paid directly to the beneficiaries (non taxable) while assets passed via will must go through probate and possibly be subject to estate taxes...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't see why you would want to, since life insurance proceeds are paid directly to the beneficiaries (non taxable) while assets passed via will must go through probate and possibly be subject to estate taxes...
He wants to do it this way so he can write it off as a business expense...

tranquility

Yes, it is legal to buy. But, you don't get a deduction for key man insurance.

(Well, absent certain things like an S-corp owner, key-man and the premium is put on the owner/key man's W-2. That would not achieve the OP's purpose.)

Last edited:

gerritb

Thanks for the replies. My tax accountant tells me that key man insurance premiums are indeed a deductible business expense. My heirs will have to dispose of my corporate assets somehow anyway, so it seems like adding the insurance benefit to that wouldn't make that any worse.

gerritb

Hmm, sorry, didn't see the previous replies below and was going by memory. If the key-man premiums do show up on my personal W2 as income that wouldn't in fact do what I want. Maybe this isn't a good idea.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The money is non-taxable if it goes directly to your heirs. Your accountant didn't tell you that?

ecmst12

Making your heirs wait for probate to get the insurance money won't help them do things like pay for your funeral though...

tranquility

People, he wants to reduce income taxes by buying life insurance. He does not get to do that. We are not talking about what happens when he dies.

scadv

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA

I am the owner and sole employee of a personal services corporation as a consulting engineer. I would like to buy life insurance with my wife and kids as the beneficiaries. Is it legal to buy life insurance with my corporation as the beneficiary ("key man" insurance, deductible as a business expense) and then will the assets of my company to my wife and kids on my death?

Thanks very much for any help!

Gerrit

I think your accountant is intermingling two different types of key man insurance.

A business is not the best way to pass on life insurance proceeds to loved ones.

The first is basic "business loss replacement" Key Man coverage.
Which is certainly a deductible expense. But the beneficiary will be the business.

Being a sole proprietor, the only reason you would really need this type of coverage would be to cover any outstanding business expenses (debt).

And as stated before, insurance proceeds are tax-free when left to individuals; so the business is not how you want to pass on life insurance money to your loved ones.

But...... you are able to bonus yourself (on your W-2 income) a "162" executive bonus to buy insurance with on an individual basis.

Yes, it is still taxed as income, but it is not treated as a dividend, and it is also deductible on your schedule C, which will reduce your AGI.

In short, it helps to lower you AGI.
It also reduces your SS & Medicare taxes on that amount by 7%, from being excluded from dividends.

But owners usually do this as a Retirement Planning Tool, and a way to defer retirement money in a tax advantaged way.
They use cash value life insurance which grows Tax Deferred and can be accessed Tax Free.

They reduce taxes now, minimize taxation on those retirement funds, create a tax free retirement income stream, and create a tax free death benefit for their loved ones.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">