• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life insurance beneficiary dispute prt 2

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WarrenD

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

Very recently my brother passed away unexpectedly. In June of 2009 he started a life insurance policy in which he put our mom, his only son (6-yr-old) and myself as the primary beneficiaries. Within a month, he changed two of the beneficiaries to his girlfriend, and his grandmother (with whom he practically lived), while keeping our mother on it.

We were not aware of this change until just the other day when the insurance agent, who is very close to my mother/father (they have a policy w/ the company) and my grandmother who is a beneficiary, contacted my mother and said she would be talking w/ the beneficiaries shortly. She informed my mother that she needed to talk w/ her, his grandmother, and "his wife" (he was never married to his girlfriend, the insur. agent claimed that my grandmother told her that he and his girlfriend were married).

A couple of things to note before getting to the question: The fact that he removed me as a beneficiary doesn't bother me at all - our family wants the money to be used directly and indirectly for the benefit of his son who lives with my mother and father (everyone except his grandmother who is a beneficiary); we understand it's his choice, his life, and that the life insurance policy is a legally binding agreement; and we are also keeping in close touch w/ the insurance agent who works closely with our family to stay informed of our current options though she cannot really give us too much information, legally, and since we are also having to wait on the results from the coroner to establish the cause of death.

From very little research on the issue, I've found that insurance beneficiary payouts are often disputed by the insurance company because of misinformation, suicide, or fraud. However, based on A LOT of little strange things adding-up regarding my brother's death, the state of his relationship with his gf (fighting to the point of death threats), how she and our grandmother influenced him into changing the policy and then keeping this a secret, some peculiar facts during the night of his death that add up, etc...all in all, we have suspicions of probable foul play.
I'm wondering though 1) how often one beneficiary successfully disputes the payout of another on these grounds 2) would this jeopardiZe the entire policy or would it selectively effect particular beneficiaries (e.g. the fact that he wasn't married and listed that he was - I'm not even sure if this alone anyway would be considered grounds for misrepresentation)mm3) How likely the probability of foul play would need to be...would there need to be an actual conviction, criminal charges, etc

These are questions we intend to discuss with the insurance company and/or an attorney if we do chose to take it that far, but I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of situation. Right now, everything is happening so quickly - his death, the funeral, new information and speculation day by day, working through initial interpretations of events where you give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they have at least neutral intentions, etc - and the situation is rather complex, so much so that it seems like there are a lot of possibilities, and that is why I wonder just how probable is probable enough...

Thanks in advance for any opinions/advice.

Dandy Don

You should be reporting your concerns about the suspicious circumstances about the death to the police department so they can take a written statement of your information and launch an investigation. If it is later discovered that there is enough evidence to charge the girlfriend and/or the grandmother, then the insurance company is also doing their own investigation concurrently, and believe me they won't be paying any party that is convicted of any illegal activity regarding this matter. You can also send a brief letter about the facts you have to the insurance company so they can be put on notice not to make an immediate payment.

Anyone convicted won't get paid, but that won't affect any other beneficiary getting paid, so the son will be able to get his payment (through a guardian or other legally responsible relative looking out for the son's interests).

Betty

It seems you are saying the current beneficiaries on the policy after the change are your mom, gf & grandmother. (He changed benes from you & his son to gf & grandma but left mom on.)

The policy is in the two year contestable period. The ins. co. is probably already doing their own investigation of the death before paying out any proceeds. However, you should inform them of anything you know that you believe is suspicious. After they complete their investigation & you find out what their action is to be re the proceeds, you can go from there. Depending on the results of the investigation, you may need to obtain a lawyer if you want to dispute their decision/don't agree with their decision.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">