• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance beneficiary dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SCD9598

Colorado
My father passed away July 2008. He changed his life insurance beneficiary to the lady he was living with was sometime in 2006. The insurance company won't tell me when, even though I am his personal representative. When he died suddenly last year, they had been estranged almost 18 months and he told everyone he could that he had changed his will and was leaving everything equally to me and my brother, and nothing to her. He did not change his beneficiary on his life insurance however, and I am not sure he knew he had to. I believe he thought the new will leaving her completely out of it, would have covered him. They Insurance has denied our Rival Beneficiary claim saying I don't have enough to substantiate this, and are giving me 30 days to 'legally restrain us from paying the designated beneficiary.' What does this mean?
Thanks,
Shannon

anteater

It means that, unless you get yourself an attorney to assist you in getting a court to order the insurance company not to pay the policy proceeds to the lady in question, they will pay her.

Dandy Don

And on what legal grounds is the lady not entitled to the proceeds? If she is the named beneficiary, there is no chance at all that anyone else will be paid this money. This is a mistake that happens all of the time and is very unfortunate.

VARDELL

My grandmother died last week, i was told that my uncle was the beneficiary on her policy and has 100 % of everything in her apartment, no problem, the problem is his daughter, whom has power of attorney over him, and he power of attorney over my grandmother, at the time of her death. Their are a lot of issues involved, my dad whom died in 2007, i was told was a benefeciary on a policy, but i don't know what insurance company, how can i find out if there was a policy? And who would be then the beneficiary since he already died in nov., 2007?

Dandy Don

Vardell you need to click the edit button to delete or erase your posting--you have replied to SOMEONE else's posting, which is an error. You can then click on the NEW POSTS link in blue letters at the top of the page to post your own message.

You were told by WHOM that you were a beneficiary? Can't you ask that person for the name of the life insurance company information or pay $75 to MIB to have them do a search for you? You may need to consult with a probate attorney to help you figure everything out, since your situation is much too complicated for a message board. The sister who got power of attorney could have changed the beneficiaries with the life insurance companies but there is almost no way you will ever be entitled to that information.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">