• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life insurance beneficiary is dead...now what???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Allthingslegal

What is the name of your state? PA

So my grandparents passed away within the last few months...It was the parents of my deceased mother who died in 1991...they had two other kids, one of which is estranged and was taken out of the will. My Aunt was name executor on the estate....The funeral home notified my aunt that the life insurance beneficiaries were never changed after my mother died in 91, so she is still listed as beneficiary, as well as my aunt & thier estranged son...

1.) Do my mothers life insurance benefits pass down to me and my sister, or is she just thrown out because she died?

I appreciate any info anyone may have...

Dandy Don

You can contact the insurance company to ask them your question directly and see what their response is. Most likely they will make the check out to your mother's estate and send separate checks to the aunt and the estranged son.

So if your mother had a last will and testament that was probated in court, you should find out who the executor is (go to the county courthouse probate court and look at the file) and inform the executor about these funds so the executor can receive the check and distribute it to the legal heirs. If your mother did not have a will that was probated, you will need to file to open up probate to handle this money or you can hire a probate attorney to do it.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Betty

As Zigner noted it will depend on the wording of the policy - just exactly how the beneficiary info is worded & also on the policy provisions. Sometimes the bene designation is worded that if any bene is deceased at the death of the insured, the surviving beneficiaries take all. Sometimes it is worded that the deceased bene's estate or heirs get the deceased's share. The ins. co. will have this information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">