• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance Beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

franci

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

My fiance and I had been together for over five years when he died in December of a brain tumor. He has had his brother as the beneficiary on his group life insurance policy from work for at least the past five years. He has never had his sons on there, because they never had anything to do with him unless they "needed" something from him. When we found out he was sick and he wanted to move home to be close to his parents in Missouri, I quit my job of eleven years, took out all of my retirement money to pay off all my bills, and moved with him to be there for him and to take care of him. We had hoped we would have at least a year together, but unfortunately, he died at the end of December. I would have done all this because I loved him with all my heart. I would have traded places with him if it had been possible. I didn't do it to "get" anything from him. But he knew I had given up everything to be with him and wanted to make sure that I would be able to "start over". So he made me and his brother equal beneficiaries. I was the only one there with him when he died. His sons knew he was sick and that he wanted to see them before he died, but they kept finding excuse after excuse NOT to come. But, now, suddenly after he died, these "loving" sons, have effectively stopped the benefits from being paid with a law-suit against his work place, because they are hoping to have the beneficiaries overturned to them. Can this happen? I have been told that a beneficiary is a binding contract, but we are still in limbo and this is going on into the seventh month, now, after his death. Also, we have heard that in Arkansas, a beneficiary question HAS to be settled within six months. Is this true? If so, that date passed Saturday. And, what do his brother and I do, if anything, to get the benefit payment he wanted us to have? (I have moved back to Arkansas, and his sons live here too.) Part of the problem is that the law-suit isn't against us, the beneficiaries, it is against the work company and their insurance company. This has left his brother and myself completely out of the loop of information, etc. We are the ones most effected, but we cannot get any information unless someone decides to share it with us, which is practically non-existent. Does anyone have any suggestions??
We are ready and NEEDING to get on with our lives after this tragic loss of one we loved so dearly. But this just keeps it lingering on and on.

C

CIAA

As beneficiaries you are absolutely entitled to know exactly what is going on. If you have filed a claim it is totally unacceptable that you are being kept in the dark. Consider getting professional help as soon as possible to help you protect your rights.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">