• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life insurance beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

shannon sirk

What is the name of your state? California

My mother passed away in February. She had been paying for a very short time on three life insurance policies; one each for myself and my brother and my sister. She had selected this particular plan because it allowed her to get out what she put in, should she die before the requisite two years to get the full policy amount. Shortly after she died, we called the insurance company (Mutual of Omaha) and asked what we needed to do to collect the money. The representative told us that we needed a letter with all of our information and an official copy of the death certificate. We were told that we would each get a check for around $230 or so, as that was the amount our mother had contributed to each policy. So we wrote the letter and mailed off it off with the death certificate and weeks later recieved a letter telling us that her account had been closed because she had been delinquent in her payments. We had to put her in a convalescent home on December 27, so her policy ran out sometime in January when she was late on her payment. Since she was mentally incapacitated while in the convalescent hospital, there is no way she could have made the payments. Any notices they might have sent regarding her late payment would have never made it to her in the hospital. We just want the money she put in, especially since the first person we spoke with at the company quoted us an amount we were getting and never said anything about her account being delinquent. What do we do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">