• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance beneficiary?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

losingout?

What is the name of your state? I live in Maine but situation is in Massachusetts.
My ex-spouse of 26 yrs. was ordered in a divorce agreement to maintain group life insurance with his company for me until alimony payment end. I didn't realize that last part. A few years and a few layoffs later, I agreed to take a lesser payment and terminate payments at a set date because there was no prospect of ever getting anymore alimony. He recently died and left his group retirement insurance with the same company with no beneficiary listed. I feel, lof course, I am entitled to it. The company says no because it's a different policy. Am I losing out again?

Dandy Don

Yes and no.

IF the company claims they are two different policies, then ask for both of the policy numbers. If they won't provide them to you, then file a complaint with your state insurance commissioner to have this investigated.

But that won't change the fact that he kept his agreement and that the requirement for maintaing the policy ends when his alimony payments ended.

You will probably lose if they are 2 different policies, but since the policy is made payable to his estate, hopefully your children may benefit if they were named in his will as beneficiaries in that IF he even left a will.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">