• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance benificiary rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

martin2000

I am in Alabama.

My Grandfather recently passed away, two weeks before he died while he was in the hospital he gave my Aunt power of attorney and had a will drawn up. In the will he stated that there was a thousand dollar life insurance policy that he wanted split four ways along with a checking account.

I received a letter from the insurance company that there were actually two life insurance policies, one for a thousand dollars and the other one for ten-thousand dollars. I am listed as sole benificiary, and have been on the policies for thirty years.

Are these policies considered part of his estate?

What if any are my obligations? Do I inform the probate attorney or are these outside of probate?

Dandy Don

You lucky person you. The money passes outside of probate and is payable directly to you. Please do not inform the executor about this unless you want to create bad feelings.

It would be nice for you to volunteer to pay the funeral expenses if that has not already been taken care of and if the estate can not afford to do so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">