• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life insurance benificiary?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NoNamesRleft

What is the name of your state? Nevada

My Husband is in the Military. "Family member servicemans life insurance" automatically names the military member as the benificiary in the event of the death of the spouse. I do not want my husband to be the benificiary on my life insurance policy, the policy itself cannot be changed. If I draw up a new will naming my adult children as benificiaries of any policy on my life, would that be enough to ensure that the money goes to them?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

NoNamesRleft said:
What is the name of your state? Nevada

My Husband is in the Military. "Family member servicemans life insurance" automatically names the military member as the benificiary in the event of the death of the spouse. I do not want my husband to be the benificiary on my life insurance policy, the policy itself cannot be changed. If I draw up a new will naming my adult children as benificiaries of any policy on my life, would that be enough to ensure that the money goes to them?

My response:

No. The company's first, and only, duty is to pay the named beneficiary of the policy. That's it. Your subsequent writing will do nothing to change or stop it.

IAAL

N

NoNamesRleft

thanks for your reply

Since I can't change the benificiary, can I do anything to cancel the policy or transfer it to another insurance company that would allow me to change the benificiary? Can life insurance be taken out on another person against their wishes? I did not authorize this policy and DO NOT want it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">