• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life insurance claim denied

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TSully980

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? live in MO work in Kansas.
Ok here's the situation. My son worked for the company that I work for. I have been there 26 years. He was following in my footsteps. He started full time on May 30 2006. Tragically he died on May 24 2008. He was only 20 years old (lightning strike). That should clear up any guessing. Anyway, when I inquired at work about his life insurance I was told that he was 6 days away from having life insurance. Needless to say I was even more upset. Not a good time to find out that information. So the funeral was on me. Cost was $12000. A cost that I hadn't budgeted for. My fault. So I paid it and it's in the past. This week I received the so called updated employee hand back regarding our life insurance and disability insurance. So I opened the life insurance handbook to page -1-. This is what I read:

Effective date: October 1, 2006

Eligible classes: Each active, full-time employee.

Waiting period: None, if employed on the Policyholder's Effective Date.
2 years, if employed after the policyholder's effective date.

Individual Effective date: The date immediately following the completion of
the waiting period, if applicable.

So that's what I read and to condense the timing you look at this:
Nate started May 30, 2006 full-time. (4 months BEFORE Oct 1, 2006)
Effective date for policy is Oct 1, 2006
Waiting period, NONE if employed on the Policyholder's Effective date.

Now you know what my question is don't you? I do suspect that I will be told that there is language somewhere that will justify a "no payment" of somekind. What's your thoughts? Do you think I'm "reaching" here?
TSully980

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Is there anything on the handbook you have that mentions what date it was "updated" or published? You need to be looking at the same or similar handbook that was given to your son when he was first employed or that applies to him during that same time period.

TSully980

We have tried to locate the one he was given at his hire date. We haven't found it yet. We will continue to look.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">