• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life insurance claim for the beneficiaries of a mentally disabled parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rainbowhead

What is the name of your state? NEW YORK

Hi everyone,

I wanted to find out if anyone knew of any law or had any advice that would help in the following situation:

My father died on 7/4/2006. He had a 5 year life insurance policy that expired 3/2006. HOWEVER, he was profoundly mentally ill and at the time of expiration of the policy he had started to suffer from severe mental and physical decline. He had told an aunt that he had intended to renew his policy, but just around March took a turn for the worse. Is there any argument that can be made for a claim on his beneficiaries behalf. His aunt is willing to attest to the conversation and we can without a doubt get written proof from his doctor as to his mental state at that time.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
R

moburkes

No, there isn't. The time to have fixed this would have been before the policy cancelled. Since you knew about your father's medical history, then you should have asked him to allow you to own the policy and/or continued the payments.

Insurance companies are not going to allow you to pay a few premiums in exchange for a death benefit after a policy has lapsed, cancelled, expired, etc.

Bigfoot

Life Insurance Claim

Still check to see what kind of policy it is. If by 5 year you mean a term policy, then it has expired. If it was a policy with cash value in it, there still may be some value that was used to keep the policy paid until it runs out.

rainbowhead

Betty said:
Did the ins. co. tell you the policy has expired & without any value?
i'm not sure. we didn't find it until after he died and i know how much it was worth but don't know if that was at the end or what. i'm not very experienced when it comes to this stuff. thanks for your help.

moburkes

If the policy was still active at the time of his death, then the beneficiary can collect on it. But, if it was a term policy, as you originally stated, then it doesn't have value.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">