• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

life insurance claim info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jilebns

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? california

a friend of mine recently passed away. he told be a few weeks before he died he had changed his life insurance beneficiary to me. he wanted me to take his dogs and have the money to take care of them if something happened to him. he died from pancreatitis- which is a severe stomach infection. it was caused by heavy alcohol drinking. it was a sudden and unexpected death. the death certificate does not mention alcohol. just states he died from phegmonous pancreatitis. his parents came and cleaned out his apartment and took all his paperwork and his dogs home to wisconsin. they are upset they havent gone through anything and claim he was "too flakey" to keep up payments on life insurance. I do not think he would have mentioned it to me if he didnt have it paid.

so my questions are:
1) how do i make a claim on life insurance if i have no paperwork? do i have to try to send letters to ALL life insurance companies? do I need his ss# or just name?
2) his parents took the dogs. do i still have a claim to the $?
3) will the policy still be vaild with his cause of death?

any info is greatly appreciated.
jill

Dandy Don

www.lostpolicy.com will do a search for a $75 fee that you can charge to your credit card. It would help if you knew his SSN (you can get that from a private investigator for about $50-$100) but all you really need is his name (complete with middle name) and date of birth. If the policy search comes up empty, which I doubt it will, you will then need to consult an attorney to get his help to get the insurance company information from the parents.

The insurance company will make the determination as to whether the policy should be made based on the cause of death. Please do not mention the cause of death to the company--let them investigate that on their own.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">