• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance Claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

wkilpatrick

I know that I was made a beneficiary to a life insurance policy sometime around 1985-1989, but do not have a copy of the policy. The insured passed away in January of this year. I do not have access to this person's personal belongings (documents, checkbook, etc.) nor do I know any of the insured person's relatives. I do not know which insurance company the insured used. How can I find out about this policy and file a claim? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ALawyer

While you may have been named a beneficiary 10-15 years ago, only if the policy was still in force (and the great majority of policies lapse for non-payment of premium or change of job), with the same beneficiary (and may changes occur), will you get anything, PROVIDED you locate the insurance company.

Was it work related insurance? Contact the former employer and ask. Was it personally purchased insurance? Ask the relatives or heirs at law or executor (and you can check to see if there was a will filed or other probate proceeding in the county where the deceased lived).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">