• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

life insurance claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zoledude

What is the name of your state? Michigan

I friend of mine was recently killed in an auto accident. He was
intoxicated and lost control of his car on slippery roads, causing him to veer into the path of an oncoming truck. No one else was hurt.

He has a life insurance policy that has been in force for over three years. His wife is concerned that because he was
intoxicated at the time of his death, the insurance company may try to avoid paying the claim. I told her she is not thinking rationally about it, that even though he may have contributed to his death by being drunk, they will pay.

Any thoughts on this from any informed sources? Thanks

Dandy Don

If she has a copy of the policy, ask her to examine the fine print to see if there is any mention of that. Otherwise, she should go ahead and file the claim as soon as possible so that she will receive the check--if there is some exclusion, it will be the burden of the insurance company to worry about that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">