• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance Claim

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needanswer1952

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri
My husband and I divorced in 2005 and he passed away in July of this year. He purchased a $5,000 life insurance policy in 2006 in the state of Kentucky where we both moved for awhile. He passed away in the state of Kentucky. We were divorced in St. Louis Missouri where we were married and were living at the time of the divorce in 2005. He moved to Kentucky with me. We became very close and were together all the time. When he took out the policy I was named as one of the benefiscarney along with our son. The insurance company which is Mutual of Omaha has just requested a copy of our divorce degree. They are stating since he died in Kentucky it is state law that they review it before issuing my portion to me. They are stating that it is based upon what the divorce papers state if I receive any compensation at all. Are they correct?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">