• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life insurance claims denied for no reason?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Samuel575

I have been told that health insurance companies sometimes deny valid claims in order to save money, because they know that a certain percentage of customers won't bother to appeal. My question is, does this also happen with life insurance claims?

I'm shopping for life insurance; my beneficiary is a very unassertive person, and I want to know if I need to look for a company that has a good record of paying claims without hassle. Is this a factor that I should consider, and if so, are there any good sources of information about this?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have been told that health insurance companies sometimes deny valid claims in order to save money, because they know that a certain percentage of customers won't bother to appeal. My question is, does this also happen with life insurance claims?

I'm shopping for life insurance; my beneficiary is a very unassertive person, and I want to know if I need to look for a company that has a good record of paying claims without hassle. Is this a factor that I should consider, and if so, are there any good sources of information about this?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
ASSuming this isn't a seed-thread...What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

ecmst12

That's funny, health insurance companies don't do that, even if customers don't appeal doctors do. Not to mention bad faith and all sorts of other ugly stuff.

Samuel575

I'm in New Jersey. I don't know what a seed thread is; I was just trying to get opinions on whether this is an issue that I need to be concerned about.

momm2500

well if you buy life insurance, make sure you read the fine print. some life insurance plans will not reimburse if you commit suicide. i do not see why a life insurance plan would not pay if you submit a legal death certificate and the reason for dying is covered under the life insurance policy.

ecmst12

However, it's never a BAD idea to seek out companies to do business with that have a proven track record of good customer service.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">