• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance Death Benefit Belongs to Estate or Beneficiary?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PMartinJ

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? OREGON (deceased); I live in California.

My mother died a couple of months ago (in Oregon); her debts (~$15k) exceeded her assets (~$5k). This is currently undergoing some legal process (probate?) by which a judge is going to divide her assets among her creditors.

Here's a twist: I was notifed today that she had a life insurance policy, and that I am the sole beneficiary. I do not yet know the amount of the policy.

Here's my question:

Does the life insurance benefit belong to her estate - thus creditors will likely make claims against it to recover some of the money they were owed - or does the benefit belong to only to me?

Thanks,
Martin in California

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Good news for you: the benefit passes outside of probate and belongs only to you. Now: do you intend to use some of it to help pay off some of mother's debts?

PMartinJ

Ethical High Road?

Dandy Don said:
Good news for you: the benefit passes outside of probate and belongs only to you. Now: do you intend to use some of it to help pay off some of mother's debts?
Thanks, Don.

It turns out that the benefit will only be some small amount - perhaps $1000.

Do you think that using this token amount to pay off some of her debt is the ethical thing to do?

Martin

Dandy Don

No, you can keep it for yourself. I had assumed that the policy was paying off in a large amount.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">