• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance Demutualization

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

morriseyt

i have a "whole life" insurance policy with a company that is demutualizing. i will be getting cash back. is there a way to avoid paying capital gains on this money

tom in florida

ALawyer

Did you have a choice of cash or stock?
What did the company tell you about tax consequences?

In the case of other life insurance companies that demutualized and issued shares to policyholders, the shares issued were NOT taxed as income on distribution. However I am not sure of the "basis" the shares were given, or the tax consequences on sale of the shares.

In any event consider yourself lucky. You're getting essentially "free money" you never would have seen if it had not demutualized, nearly all of which was contributed by generations of policyholders who are long deceased. If you won the lottery -- and in a sense you did -- it would be taxable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">