• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

life insurance dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

neworleanswife

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hello, I live in New Orleans. My husband and I have been married for 10 years. His ex-wife died almost a year ago. My husband is the beneficiary named on her life insurance policy. Her family filed a claim stating that because they were divorced, my husband should not receive the money. We do not have an attorney. My husband has been trying to this himself. My husband and his ex-wife were married and divorced here in New Orleans. She moved to Seattle about 6 years ago, and that is where she died. The insurance policy in question is one that my husband and his ex-wife started a long time ago, even before they were married. My husband stopped paying on his policy, that named her as beneficiary, but his ex-wife continued her payments. The policy was originally through American Express. His family claims that because the policy was written under Missouri Law, that my husband cannot received the money. My husband does not have a copy of the original policy. We are very confused. Thank you for any advice.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Dandy Don

Was this policy purchased through their place of employment or purchased privately, on their own, with no connection to the place of employment? Has your husband even contacted the insurance company to discuss this with them? What is the payout value of the policy? The mention about a divorced spouse not being eligible to be named as a beneficiary most often applies to being able to inherit and I don't think it applies to disqualify him from being a beneficiary unless there is something in Washington state law about this. Your husband needs to be consulting a business law or bad faith insurance attorney to defend his interests in filing an interpleader action with the insurance company or making a complaint with the Washington State Commissioner of Insurance to have this investigated.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">