• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life insurance error

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momm2500

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

how do i proceed in a case like this?

dad died and i helped mom complete all the insurance papers for his life insurance policy thru the VA. Well, mom ending up passing on before she could sign the paperwork(died 6 days after dad). Sister-in-law forged mom's signature on the form; submitted it to the VA and they sent the check electronically to mom's old checking account that had brother's name on it. The benefits should have actually gone to mom's estate. i can prove that they did not get the paperwork till after mom died. Also, I have legal documents that prove mom's signature and that the death claim form was not completed by her. Should I notify the VA of what has happened? Would they ask for the money back and then re-issue it to the estate of mom?

momm2500

i might be nieve but what would the police do? around here they would rather catch drunk drivers than mess with that stuff. i have a friend who is an officer in the next town and told me so. now would this mess up my inheritance? i am to get 50% of everything in the estate and right now they have to submit the final accounting in 2 weeks. took brother to court since he did not file a final accounting. i guess i should wait and see if they claim the money as an asset? and if they dont then contact the VA or contact them anyway?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">