• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance for Debts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taztippy

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Michigan

My sister is terminally ill without medical insurance, will her daughter (the life insurance beneficiary) be obligated to use the life insurance payout for her mother's medical debt?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Taztippy said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Michigan

My sister is terminally ill without medical insurance, will her daughter (the life insurance beneficiary) be obligated to use the life insurance payout for her mother's medical debt?
The estate is responsible for any outstanding medical bills. Life insurance passes outside of the estate. So the conclusion would be no.

Betty

I agree with Ohiogal. The life ins. proceeds go to the beneficiary (her daughter) & the proceeds of a life ins. pol. do not have to be used to pay the deceased's debts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">