• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

life insurance holder/ holders???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

chris_gates

What is the name of your state?ky
My parents divorce in 1979 and the divorce agree states that my sister and I hold my fathers life insurance up on his death but he has retired from GM and we have no way to see if he is still holding the 60,000 that he had up on the divorce. The( divorce) paper state that he must keep 60,000 for the rest of his life. Also stated if he re married and the children from this marriage will hold 1/3 of life insurance policy from GM and my siter and I will hold 2/3. How can we fine out and what if he has change this amount (decreased)??? . He has remarried and has one child.

Last edited:

ALawyer

ASK HIM. He may say "whoops" or yes. If the former, you know what to do. If He says YES, ask him what policy and from where. Then ask him to get you a letter from the carrier or firm stating the beneficiary designation is in force and irrevocable.

You see the real danger is that he named someone else, not that he reduced the face amount.

If the insurance involved was the policy provided as group life thru his employer, a letter from a lawyer, with a copy of the divorce decree, to GM would put them on notice so if smeone else was named, their insurance company wuld deposit the proceeds in court and let the claimants fight it out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">