• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

life insurance information

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sansky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi
My dad just passed away. My half-sister has all his records and won't give me copies. Supposedly he had 2 life insurance policies and myself, her and an adopted son were beneficiaries. Is there a way to find out the life insurance companies he had insurance through - public records, etc.

Dandy Don

Just be patient. Eventually the insurance companies will be contacting you if she notifies them.

Did she also have power of attorney to handle his financial affairs before she died?

sansky

Just be patient. Eventually the insurance companies will be contacting you if she notifies them.

Did she also have power of attorney to handle his financial affairs before she died?
She didn't, nor any estate control, etc. She simply had access to the house before I did and went through everything and kept all the paperwork, etc.

I have read where the insurance company automatically divides the amount equally between all listed beneficiaries unless percentages were specified. Am I correct in this?

Would you happen to know how long it usually takes for an insurance company to contact beneficiaries? Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">