• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

life insurance interest debt and SOL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fdc555

What is the name of your state?undefinedundefinedWhat is the name of your state? New Jersey. I borrowed $58,000 from my Whole Life policy in 1996. I stopped working due to health reasons in 1995 and needed the money. I stopped paying the policy in 1995 and was on disability option for two or three years. I filed for bankruptcy in 2001 but was not aware of any interest due to the insurance company or I would have included that also. In February of 2005 I recieved a bill demanding $4,700 in interest! Two questions, am I liable for the interest on my own money, and is there a statute of limitations on this"debt". I should note that this was the first demand for interest at all.

BECBEN444

Did you find the answere to question?

Colorado
I have a similar situation, I did include the loan from life insurance in bankruptcy. The insurance company recieved notification of filing, they sent me a letter stating "an insurance loan is not considered a debt in bankruptcy law therefore is not effected in bankruptcy" They did not send any thing to trustee or objection of any kind. After discharge they sent me a bill for loan and interest on loan.Was your interest discharged?

somarco

Loans against a life policy are repayable at the option of the owner. Same for the accrued interest.

Any outstanding loan balance + accrued interest serves to reduce the death benefit.

Some policies will lapse after a period of time if the loan or interst is not repaid, others will not. If the policy lapses income taxes may be due.

BECBEN444

COLORADO
Is there a bankruptcy law that refers to what makes a loan on cash value of an EXEMPT life insurance policy and/or interest non-dischargeable?

somarco

I am not familiar with CO bankruptcy laws, I am merely stating what is universally true with regard to life insurance policy loans.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">