• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

life insurance lapse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DBrenda

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

22 years ago I purchased small life insurance policies for my daughters. I have paid annually over the years. Recently I checked up on this policy and the company said it had lapsed because I hadn't made a payment last year. I asked for documentation and found that the company had sent last year's annual statement to my address from 22 years ago.
I have been receiving mail from them at my present address for the last 17 years. Is is my fault that they sent the last notice to the wrong address? The post office, of course didn't forward it because it was so long ago that I lived at that former address. What recourse do I have in this situation when the company is clearly at fault for not notifying me.What is the name of your state?

Betty

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

22 years ago I purchased small life insurance policies for my daughters. I have paid annually over the years. Recently I checked up on this policy and the company said it had lapsed because I hadn't made a payment last year. I asked for documentation and found that the company had sent last year's annual statement to my address from 22 years ago.
I have been receiving mail from them at my present address for the last 17 years. Is is my fault that they sent the last notice to the wrong address? The post office, of course didn't forward it because it was so long ago that I lived at that former address. What recourse do I have in this situation when the company is clearly at fault for not notifying me.What is the name of your state?
They did notify you but just at the wrong address. It is your responsibility to keep track of all "bills" owed & when due. It would been the same as with a utility bill - if you didn't get the bill, you still owe it & when due.

Dandy Don

Have you asked them what you can do to reinstate it?

File a complaint with your state insurance commissioner (look for the website on GOOGLE) to have this investigated. Something is very wrong if they knew your current address and then sent the notice to a previous address.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">