• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

life insurance not paying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Hopey

What is the name of your state? alabama

my mother past away 3 1/2 years ago. her employer is not paying the life insurance or retirement because they said that they lost her paperwork and so did the insurance company. the day after she past away they had the paperwork and verified the amount of the policy and the beneficiaries. is there anything i can do?

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Hopey said:
What is the name of your state? virginia

my mother past away 3 1/2 years ago. her employer is not paying the life insurance or retirement because they said that they lost her paperwork and so did the insurance company. the day after she past away they had the paperwork and verified the amount of the policy and the beneficiaries. is there anything i can do?

My response:

Where's your copy of the policy, and the benefits page?

IAAL

Beth3

What paperwork are they referring to? If it's the actual death benefits claim (a one page claim form and a copy of the death certificate), that's easy enough to file again.

Are they saying they lost her entire group health file??? Even if they did, it would only take some back-tracking by accounting or human resources to figure out how much she was insured for and that they were paying premiums to the insurance carrier for her. I suggest you contact the employer and tell them that if they don't straighten this out by [reasonable date], you'll be contacting your State's Insurance Commission and the federal Department of Labor. Telephone the person who manages benefits for your mother's employer and tell them this, then follow up with a letter to the VP of HR or the CEO. (Heads of HR and CEO's hate getting letters like this, especially when it's obvious their own staff has screwed up.)

And if they don't have this rectified by the time specified, then by all means call the insurance commission and the DOL. It's absurd that they've let this sit for three and a-half years. Obviously nobody at the employer's end has done a damn thing about this, nor do they plan to. You need to provide some "motivation" for them and this ought to do it.

Bigfoot

Contact the Va Dept of Insurance in Richmond immediately. Not only are you losing time by playing merry-go-round with the employer, but you risk the possibility of the employer going out of business--in which case getting the death and retirement benefits will be even more difficult.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Bigfoot said:
Contact the Va Dept of Insurance in Richmond immediately. Not only are you losing time by playing merry-go-round with the employer, but you risk the possibility of the employer going out of business--in which case getting the death and retirement benefits will be even more difficult.

My response:

. . . and, guess what their first question is going to be?

"Where's your copy of the policy, and the benefits page?"

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">