• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

life insurance on a minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

codydedman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ky. I just found out that a male family friend took out a large amt of life ins. on my 12 yr old Granddaughter. His agent is a lady he is dating. Is this legal to do without the child's or parent's consent? If so, does it make a difference that this 24 yr old man is the County Clerk who searched for her social security # on papers filed at the court house? The other reason I'm so disgusted & upset by this is that this same person (who is no longer a family friend) also molested her! Regretfully, when confronting him with this, he admitted, but we did not have it recorded. My daughter and I want to make sure we know the laws before we take action. Thanks for any help you can give us.

anteater

Besides consent, there is the concept of insurable interest. A friend would not normally have an insurable interest in the life of your granddaughter. Therefore, there may be fraud on that front, also.

http://law.justia.com/codes/kentucky/2006/304-14/040.html

1) the life insurance company, not the agent
2) the Kentucky Department of Insurance

http://insurance.ky.gov/

3) if you are certain of your facts, the ex-friend's employer

I assume that the molestation is being investigated/prosecuted?

Betty

I was a life ins. underwriter & we never would have approved an application on a child w/o the parent's consent + here there is also no insurable interest. It seems the friend and agent both apparently committed fraud in order to get it approved & issued.

Do as anteater suggested.

codydedman

life ins on a minor

Hi, Thank you so much for the information. It was a big help. Where would I report this to get it changed? I do appreciate any help you can give us. Thanks

codydedman

minor life ins

Hi, I just the advice from anteater after i posted my first reply. I saw where you answered my question as where to report this to get it changed. That was a big help. Thank you very much

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">