• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life insurance on ex, when parental rights have been terminated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Moxie_F

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

Due to my ex's federal status as a sex-offender, I went ahead and terminated his parental rights. It was a safety measure for my children. In the meantime, after he got out of prision he hasn't paid any of his back child support in the long three years it took me to complete this process.

As a single mother of 2 under 10yrs of age, I do have my own life insurance. But, can I take out a policy on my ex after terminating his parental rights? I'm pretty sure that since I terminated his parental rights my kids wouldn't receive any social security benefits in the event that he were to pass on, but I didn't have any idea on private sector insurance policies.

Thank you

xylene

This is a question you need to ask a prospective insurer.

I certainly would not lie about the situation.

nextwife

Additionally, how do you propose to get his cooperation in providing current health data and/or a physical exam to the insurance company so that they will agree to write the policy?

Moxie_F

That was part of the question, I didn't know if he would need to go through a medical exam, etc. Some of the previous posts regarding ex's have elluded to not needing a signature or exam if it was for the benefit of the children. Just didn't know where that put me in these circumstances.

Silverplum

That was part of the question, I didn't know if he would need to go through a medical exam, etc. Some of the previous posts regarding ex's have elluded to not needing a signature or exam if it was for the benefit of the children. Just didn't know where that put me in these circumstances.
You have legally erased him from your childrens' lives. He doesn't owe them, or you, anything at all. Ever. He's not your X, he's not their father.

This is precisely as if you wanted to get life insurance on a total stranger, for the benefit of your children.

Talk to an insurance professional.

moburkes

LIkely not. You have no insurable interest in his death. You need insurable interest at the time of the application. In order to avoid medical information you'd ahve to buy an EXPENSIVE whole life policy, and the most you could purchase is around $25k. He would need to sign the application.

You could get around insurable interest by having him purchase the policy initially, then, after it is approved, making you the owner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">