• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life insurance ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

berec21886

Is there a lawyer in the house?

Hi thank you for considering my request. My father took out a life insurance policy on me when I was a minor. I am now an adult. I am 24 years old now and the policy was taken out about 15 years ago. I have no communication with my father and desire none as I actually fear for my life from him. I just found out this policy exists and don't want him to have an incentive in the case of my death. The insurance company hasn't been forth coming in my rights. I am not seeking any benefits or payments. I just want the policy canceled as I don't want a "bounty on my head". Since I'm an adult now can I contest this policy? This is a Florida policy.

Thanks again,

Last edited:

ALawyer

He likely had an insurable interest in your life at the time, and if he did, he has the right to the policy. Usually these policies are very small, less than $10k.

If you fear for your life, and he has given you a basis for the fear, you may want to get a protective order to keep him away from you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">