• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life insurance paid to wrong beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

marnielynne

What is the name of your state? PA
My husband passed away and had group life insurance through his company. I filed the claim and was expecting each of the kids and myself to get paid according to the last copy of a beneficiary form my husband signed in 1999. The insurance company claims the policy has been paid but won't tell me anything else. I have called 2-3 times a week for almost a month leaving VM's and can' t get anyone to give me any information or call me back. I know the kids got their checks and I know I didn't get mine. I asked his employer to please get involved and they claim they can't release any information and that I have to call the insurance company. The insurance company will not return my calls. I have mailed and faxed them a letter requesting information as well. Do I have any rights? I know this claim was not paid correctly. And if it was I want to at least know what information they are using to pay the claim becasue I am sure it is not correct. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

JETX

"Do I have any rights?"
*** Clearly, something is missing here. First, I would suggest you stop trying to do this the easy way (by phone) and formalize your request by sending it in writing (by certified RRR) and asking for a copy of the last beneficiary statement.

Also, are you the executor of the estate?? If you are, make your request in that capacity.

"I know this claim was not paid correctly. And if it was I want to at least know what information they are using to pay the claim becasue I am sure it is not correct. "
*** I don't know how you KNOW this without having a copy of the last beneficiary statement. It would seem that once you get it, you are possibly due for a surprise. Insurance companies don't just pay off policies to the wrong person.

M

marnielynne

Yes. I am also the executor. I will send my request in writing again, but use RRR as you suggested. I have a copy of the benficiary form that was in with all of my husbands other records. His company was bought out several times and did not have the correct information on file for either of us (we both worked for the same company) even though I supplied it to them on several occasions. I am sure his company passed on the incorrect information to the insurance company and if I could just get the claim examiner to return one phone call, I am sure I'd have my answer. I am fine if I was taken off as a beneficiary. I didn't expect any of us to get anything at all seeing as my husband committed suicide. I just want to be sure that the claim was paid correctly and I do not beleive it was. Thanks for the advice.

Dandy Don

In your certified letter/request for information, be sure to mention that you are the estate executor. Do you have even the basic information about the policy (its face value)? How much were the children paid?

If the company does not respond to your request for information within a reasonable amount of time, consider filing a complaint with your state insurance commissioner (they usually have a website) or your librarian can help you find the contact information.

JETX

Dandy Don.... mighty fine advice there. In fact, very similar to that already given by me.
:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">