• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance pay out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

obrien7087

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA
My father died in June and my Grandmother had a small insurance policy for him. The beneficiary is my Grandfather who died several years before my father did, my father never changed the beneficiary. Because my Grandmother is his spouse, will she be able to collect the money from the policy?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Dandy Don

You can ask the insurance company how they are going to handle this.

If your grandfather had an estate or a will that was probated in probate court, then there was someone who served as executor of his estate. If you know who the executor is, then tell them about this insurance matter. The check is going to be issued to the ESTATE of your grandfather, and the executor is the only one with legal authority to cash the check and distribute it to the heirs.

If there was no estate, then your grandmother or an attorney she hires will have to open up an estate at the county courthouse probate court, and soon after filing the executor will receive a document called letters testamentary which gives the executor authority to handle all monies in the estate, and the executor will send the insurance company a certified copy of the letters testamentary so that the check can then be issued.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">