• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

life insurance payed to my ex-husband family

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

esirena

What is the name of your state?nevada. my ex-husband died in a car crash. from our marriage we have a son who is only 6 years old, and for whom my ex payed me child support until his death. i have always cared for our son, and when my ex died he had life insurance coverage and the beneficiary was his older brother, i believe it is wrong that his brother took all the cash payment from the insurance policy my ex left. the reason i do not agree is because my ex stopped paying support for our son once he died, since my ex was ilegally in the u.s. my child was denied any benefits from social security and on top of all that my ex's brother did not even give me any money for my son who was also his brother's son, my child lost his father, his financial support, the state denied my child benefits even though my son is a u.s. citizen and my child's uncle and his family took the money from the life insurance policy and kept it all for them, my son did not receive a penny, is there a way my son could benefit from the money i feel should have been entlited to him instead of his uncle?how can i help my child to finally make justice and to have the financial security he should have had when his father died and left him without support.

justalayman

You have no claim or right to the insurance you speak of. Whomever purchases an insurance policy has the right to name the beneficiary. This money is NOT part of your ex's estate so therefor there is no claim on your part.

Sorry

panzertanker

esirena said:
What is the name of your state?nevada. my ex-husband died in a car crash. from our marriage we have a son who is only 6 years old, and for whom my ex payed me child support until his death. i have always cared for our son, and when my ex died he had life insurance coverage and the beneficiary was his older brother, i believe it is wrong that his brother took all the cash payment from the insurance policy my ex left. the reason i do not agree is because my ex stopped paying support for our son once he died, since my ex was ilegally in the u.s. my child was denied any benefits from social security and on top of all that my ex's brother did not even give me any money for my son who was also his brother's son, my child lost his father, his financial support, the state denied my child benefits even though my son is a u.s. citizen and my child's uncle and his family took the money from the life insurance policy and kept it all for them, my son did not receive a penny, is there a way my son could benefit from the money i feel should have been entlited to him instead of his uncle?how can i help my child to finally make justice and to have the financial security he should have had when his father died and left him without support.
You can't do anything. The insurance beneficiary recieved the money b/c your ex-husband named him.

Dandy Don

You forgot to mention what state he died in. Too bad that your ex didn't think enough of his own son to provide for him.

Did your ex-husband leave a last will and testament and have you checked at the county courthouse to see whether any probate action was done for him? Was he likely to have had other assets that needed to be probated?

You should be talking to a probate attorney or business law attorney who has experience in insurance company matters to look at your state law to see if there is any mention that might give priority to a surviving spouse through an interpleader action.

How much was the life insurance for? Funerals are not cheap. If he only had a $10,000 policy, that went to pay for the funeral & everything that goes along with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">