• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance physical question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cadmium

What is the name of your state? Connecticut.

My employer had me take a life insurance physical this morning in which they did blood and urine testing. It's very likely that the results of these test will test positive for marijuana and/or nicotine. Will they deny me on the account of these substances? Can they legally notify my employer?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If this is a group term policy through your employer, it is unlikely that you will be out and out declined because of this, although it's not outside the realm of possibility that they would raise the premium on you. However, since I haven't read the policy I can't give you a definite answer.

There would be little point to doing the drug testing if they were not going to notify your employer of the results. I'm not saying that they will tell your employer specifically what they found, but they can and very likely will say that a controlled substance was found.

In your state, your employer cannot take an adverse action against you because of a single, unconfirmed positive result. However, the employer may ask for a confirmation test and if that test is positive as well, they can fire you or take other adverse action because of the marijuana (I doubt they'll care about the nicotine).

cadmium

thanks for the reply. i'm guessing partying with the boys of christmas before starting a new job wasn't the best idea. If confronted I was going to ask for a confirmation test, which should yield better results.

Thanks again for your help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">