• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance Policy - Must I share if I receive a benefit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blueyes7363

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Florida

I am divorced (3 years now) and I have a life insurance policy on each of my children and myself through my work. I make the weekly payments on these policies out of my pay checks and I am the sole beneficiary on each account.

Recently, one of my children passed away and I received a small death benefit from the life insurance policy. Now my ex husband says he is entitled to 1/2 of the benefit as he is "the father". I beg to differ. He has never made a single payment on the policy and I don't believe he is entitled to a single penny. Am I correct????

Please advise. Thanks!!!!!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What matters is who is listed as a beneficiary. If you are the sole beneficiary, then you are the only one entitled to a benefit. However, if your ex-husband had been listed as a co-beneficiary, then he would have been entitled to a share regardless of whether he paid part of the premium or not.

B

blueyes7363

Thanks for your information. I was the sole beneficiary on my son's life insurance policy and my oldest daughter was the co-beneficiary in case I was no longer living.

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">