• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

life insurance policy questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

garygreenwood

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado
My mother passed away on Jan 16th 2009.
I personally saw a life insurance policy in her house for approximately 65,000 dollars.
Another family member obtained possession of this document and I did not write down the life insurance company.
I was named as beneficiary along with my younger brother.
can he cash in this policy legally without my knowledge?
My younger brother is a beneficiary along with me on this policy.
one of my questions is ,
I am listed on the death certificate as informant,son,and has my current address.
would this information on the death certificate be enough for the insurance policy administrator to contact me ,or are there legal ways of not contacting me and policy being cashed in by my brother?
#2 I have sent for the MIB services to possibly locate policy #,I will also contact previous employers for possible leads.
#3 there was no last will and testament for my mother.
another question,how long approximately does a policy take to be cashed in after a death certificate is produced?
thank you for your help

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">