• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance policy type questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JonBoy1234

What is the name of your state?My state: New York

I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge, but I am hoping to get steered in the right direction before having to make a face-to-face appointment with a life insurance company.

I am considering getting life insurance, but am worried about which type of policy to purchase. I want to make sure my family is covered in the event of my accidental death, or natural death. Is there one policy that will cover my death for both of these circumstances? (Am I even right in assuming policies will pay out differently according to the cause of death?) For example, If I get into a car accident and pass away, or get shot and killed walking down the street, what type of policy will I need to cover me under these circumstances?? I am in good health now, and don't expect to die from 'natural causes' any time soon. Any input is appreciated. I just want to make sure if I'm paying for something, it will be worth it. Thank you.

seniorjudge

These are all good questions and you should do this investigation.

Google life insurance and you will find more information than you dreamed existed.

This is a site for legal questions, not financial or insurance help.

But you are correct in asking the questions.

somarco

Very few will decide how or when they die. While it is true that young people die from accidents more than natural causes or illness, that does not mean you should only consider accidental death insurance. If anything, such policies are the most expensive kind you can buy. Sure, they are relatively inexpensive but there is a reason.

They rarely pay off . . .

How do you suppose your family would feel if you only purchased AD&D coverage, and then died of a heart attack?

It happens . . .

brownie

And...........

A reputable insurance company should answer any questions you have and make sure you understand the difference types of policies before you agree to pay for a policy.

Some friendly advice that I learned from when my dad passed away:

******Make sure you keep them the original policy(s) in a safe place, AND make sure someone knows where they are and how many policy(s) you have.

Otherwise, your family will not be able to benefit from the policy(s), if they can't find them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">