• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life insurance policy with missing beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NKTJC

My ex-husband is a beneficiary on a life insurance policy. The attorney for his father's estate ran a search as well as the insurance company. My ex cannot be found. I was advised by the insurance company that my children and myself would be entitled to 50% of my ex's benefits in the event he could not be located. The insurance company has concluded their search. They are now stating that they need a missing person's report or a death cert. in order to pay out the benefit. It seems as though they keep changing the rules. I have called my sheriff's dept. and asked about filing a missing person's report and they say they cannot do it due to the fact that he has been missing for several years. What, if anything, can I do legally to obtain a missing person's report or satisfy what the insurance company needs? What are my rights as well as the rights of my children in this situation?

Dandy Don

Did the attorney run the search himself or did he pay a professional private investigator to do it? He needs to have a private investigator do it so there will be a report to document that the search was done and was unsuccessful.

You can discuss with a civil law attorney how to get a court order to have a person declared legally dead.

NKTJC

Missing Beneficiary/Life Insurance

The insurance company and it's benefits center have run their own searches; I was told by the representative of the benefit center that they would possibly use a private investigator to locate my ex.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">