• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance Proceeds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

weberj

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My father died recently. His will leaves his separated wife as his executrix, as well as leaving his estate, after expenses, to her. He had two bank accounts and two small insurance policies. For the bank accounts, he had changed them (three or four years ago) to be jointly in his name and mine (not his wife's). For his life insurance, he had listed me as the sole beneficiary (not his wife), again changed three or four years ago. Other than these assets, he had very little--a bit of furniture, clothes etc, some of which we sold and got just $250.

My question is: based on his will and the designations on his insurance and bank accounts, which assets transfer as part of his estate to his separated wife; the bank accounts?, the life insurance proceeds?, and/or the proceeds from sale of his persoanl property? Does she have legal rights to the bank accounts and insurance, as well as the proceeds from sale of personal items?

Thanks for the help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">