• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

life insurance question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

run

The name of my state is Georgia(GA). I am having problems with obtaining money from my fathers insurance. My father passed away a few weeks ago. His beneficiary was my step mom who died a couple of weeks later. There is no second beneficiary on his insurance and he didn't have a will. My step mom had a will and left everything to her daughters. My question is: Does my dad's insurance money go to my step sisters or does it come to me and my brothers??

Please help,
Kent
[email protected]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

run said:
The name of my state is Georgia(GA). I am having problems with obtaining money from my fathers insurance. My father passed away a few weeks ago. His beneficiary was my step mom who died a couple of weeks later. There is no second beneficiary on his insurance and he didn't have a will. My step mom had a will and left everything to her daughters. My question is: Does my dad's insurance money go to my step sisters or does it come to me and my brothers??

Please help,
Kent
[email protected]
My response:

Simple. It all goes to your step-sisters. Period.

IAAL

R

run

follow up

also, my dad was the beneficiary of my step of my step mom's insurance... but of course they are both dead now so I don't know where that goes either

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: follow up

run said:
also, my dad was the beneficiary of my step of my step mom's insurance... but of course they are both dead now so I don't know where that goes either

My response:

That money goes to you, and all qualified heirs on your father's side.

Was there a probate opened for their Estates? If not, you and your step-sisters had better do so, so that you can receive the court's orders, so that the insurance company knows when, and whom, to pay.

IAAL

R

run

My step sister I don't know very well. She has already filled out the paperwork somehow to get my dad's insurance money. She has also probated the estate with court. She won't let us see her stepmother's will or the insurance papers. We don't want to make her mad because she said that she will give us the money from our dad's insurance, but she has told us a different amount than we know to be true. All we really want is my dad's insurance money. He didn't own very much at the house.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

run said:
My step sister I don't know very well. She has already filled out the paperwork somehow to get my dad's insurance money. She has also probated the estate with court. She won't let us see her stepmother's will or the insurance papers. We don't want to make her mad because she said that she will give us the money from our dad's insurance, but she has told us a different amount than we know to be true. All we really want is my dad's insurance money. He didn't own very much at the house.
My response:

Okay. So, what you're telling me is that you don't care too much about this matter. Because, if you cared, you would have retained your own attorney for your father's estate; e.g., the insurance money.

Instead, you let someone else "take care of your father's estate" without thinking that you needed protection - - or, at the very least, an "accounting" of your father's Estate.

You sat on your hands, and your rights. Don't you think it's time to get your own attorney - - especially in light of the fact that "she has told us a different amount than we know to be true"?

Good luck to you.

IAAL

R

run

live elsewhere

actually I live in a different town than my father... I care very much but my step sister(Whom I don't really know) started doing things right away that I had no idea about... I don't even know how to do it if I tried. Just wanted to know if my dad's insurance money was mine and my brothers or my step sisters. She is getting way more than us with her mothers stuff and money but we don't care about that. We want what our dad wanted us to have. Thanks for the advice. I would be willing to pay for a lawyer if I thought they could help, but according to everyone, the money goes to my step sister and there is nothing we can do about it. Thanks for the advice.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: live elsewhere

run said:
actually I live in a different town than my father... I care very much but my step sister(Whom I don't really know) started doing things right away that I had no idea about... I don't even know how to do it if I tried. Just wanted to know if my dad's insurance money was mine and my brothers or my step sisters. She is getting way more than us with her mothers stuff and money but we don't care about that. We want what our dad wanted us to have. Thanks for the advice. I would be willing to pay for a lawyer if I thought they could help, but according to everyone, the money goes to my step sister and there is nothing we can do about it. Thanks for the advice.
My response:

You said, "I care very much . . ."

But then you said, "but according to everyone, the money goes to my step sister and there is nothing we can do about it."

So, you're telling me that you still want to be led around by the nose and listen only to "everyone else."

Okay, have things your way. Don't get a qualified opinion, especially when you said, "she has told us a different amount than we know to be true."

Also, since you want to listen to "everyone else" rather than hire your own attorney to give you a legal opinion and to protect your interests, because you would rather believe "everyone else", then I can't help you. I'm left to wonder why you came here in the first place?

You know the old saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."

IAAL

R

run

still don't know

I still don't know who the money is going to. Here is the story again. My dad died a few weeks ago. My step mom died a few days after him. They had each other listed as the sole beneficiary of each others insurance and such. My step mom had a will and it stated that everything went to her daughters. Not really sure though because I haven't seen it nor can I. I don' know if my dad had a will because my step sister has so graciously taken all of his paperwork and shreded important documents. You first said it was going to my step sister and then you said it was coming to me. Where is it going? How do I find out if my dad had a will?

R

run

free advice

I came here in the first place for FREE advice. I don't have the money for a lawyer to try and get money I am not even sure is entitled to me. I am trying to figure out as much information as I can before I blindly waste money on a lawyer to tell me that I am entitled nothing.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Re: free advice

run said:
I came here in the first place for FREE advice. I don't have the money for a lawyer to try and get money I am not even sure is entitled to me. I am trying to figure out as much information as I can before I blindly waste money on a lawyer to tell me that I am entitled nothing.
My response:

I realize you're trying to get FREE advice, and I gave it to you. But, you've got to get an attorney who's "intimately" knowledgeable of the Probate laws in the State where your father died. Apparently, your step-sister did, and you're letting her tell you what she wants to tell you without an "accounting."

Look, you can get a FREE initial consultation with a Probate attorney, just by calling one in the State where your father died. Then, you can explain the situation in detail. Then, he or she can tell you if you have any rights - - especially when your step-sister has already said "she has told us a different amount than we know to be true."

That statement alone is a "tip-off" that you need to consult with an attorney - - wouldn't you say?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">