• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Widowwife

What is the name of your state? OH
My husband passed away November 30,2006 , the life insurance company was notified within a week of his passing. They informed me and his son who is helping me handle my husband's affairs that since the policy had been in effect less than two years before he passed it is there policy to contest it, which is fine. They sent me forms to fill out one being a standard claim form and the other a tobbacco history form. They also ask me to send in the original death certficate along with the policy itself. I filled out the claim form and had it notoriszed , I filled out the tobbacco history form and had it signed by a witness and I sent them this as well as the death certificate and the policy on Dec14,2006. I still have yet to hear back from them on the review of this material and whether they need more information or if they plan to pay me the life insurance money or not, how long is a reasonable amount of time for me to wait before I contact them and see what the hold up is? I am trying to be patient but three weeks is a ridiculous amount of time in my books to have to wait for response, am i wrong? Thank in advance

Betty

I worked for a life ins. company. In most jurisdictions, life ins. cos. are required to pay death claims within a specified period of time after proper notification of the claim & receipt of a death certificate. The period is usually two months (60 days). I'm sorry for the loss of your husband.

sturgbe

That is a good point! The holiday season may have added to any delays. They will usually send all information out to the MIB (Medical Information Bureau) and get APS (attending Physician Statements). Although, this should have already happened when the policy was taken out, they are going to go through it with a fine tooth comb.

What was the cause of death? Look and see if you can find the original application (usually in the back of the contract). Go through it and see if anything looks abnormal as far as dishonesty answering questions. Also, if your husband was a tobacco user, they will reunderwite the policy to see if they would have denied the policyy from the start. Most likey, they will go back and collect for the smoker rates but still pay the claim. It all depends on the company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">