• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance Questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

annie01957

What is the name of your state?I am located in the State of Texas. My father passed away in 1978 and named all of his children as beneficiaries. However, he trusted his ex-wife to assign them when she saw fit, or so she says. This was not put into trust to my stepmother and I am not sure as to whether he named her beneficiary to assign funds. Three of the children have received money from this policy, one just lately. They divorced a year prior to his death, can I get the divorce decree? I believe that she has held on to this money in order to make financial gains on interest through these years, is this illegal? She has made the other family members that she gave money to promise not to tell the others or they will not get anything else from her. Why the secretivity if she does not have something to hide. How do I access the information that I need to aid my family.

Last edited:

ALawyer

The divorce decree is probably on file and available for anyone to see in the courthouse where the divorce action was handled.

You have another issue -- 27 years have passed, and you don't know what the arrangements were, or if there was an enforceable agreement or just a promise, or if the statute of limitations has run. And she won't tell you. And no one else seems to know.

Time to consult a lawyer and get to the bottom of it, or forget about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">