• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

life insurance rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

flowerarch2

What is the name of your state? Fl

I am the owner of a life insurance policy on my father. He recently passed away and we are now told that no beneficiary was designated. Who is legally entitled to the claim? As the owner of the policy, do I not designate who is the beneficiary? Am I not automatically the beneficiary?

Dandy Don

Was this policy sold to you by an agent or just a policy that you purchased through the mail or over the Internet?

Why did you not designate a beneficiary at the time you made your first premium payment?

Yes, a beneficiary must be designated and you ARE NOT automatically the beneficiary just because you own the policy. What does the insurance company say they are going to do about this--pay anyone or pay nothing at all.

You should be asking the insurance company why they didn't ask you to designate a beneficiary or why they never sent you a form to do so.

If you are not satisfied with the results of this situation, file a complaint with your state insurance commissioner.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">