• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

life insurance/suicide

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rsyaarna

What is the name of your state? I'm from Wisconsin.

My son's father passed away last week due to suicide. We weren't together and he was married to someone else. How do I go about finding out if my son was a benificiary to a life insurance policy or if he can collect anything when he's of age? I'm not sure of the details of the insurance plan either. Where do I start?

HomeGuru

rsyaarna said:
What is the name of your state? I'm from Wisconsin.

My son's father passed away last week due to suicide. We weren't together and he was married to someone else. How do I go about finding out if my son was a benificiary to a life insurance policy or if he can collect anything when he's of age? I'm not sure of the details of the insurance plan either. Where do I start?
**A: huh?

Seanscott

If your son is listed as a beneficiary on an insurance policy, the insurance will eventually contact him.

Most insurance policies will not pay off the full amount due to death by suicide. Quite often they will refund the premiums paid by the insured.

Dandy Don

If you are implying that you do not know the name of the insurance company that may be holding his policy, then contact his employer to see if he purchased a policy through them. Or look through his cancelled checks to see if there is any indication of a monthly premium paid to an insurance company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">