• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance:Time limitations:Help!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TexasRanger

What is the name of your state? Texas

Hello everyone, first time poster with a question about life insurance and time limitations. The bigger question would be if my friend is entitled to recover.

Heres the story.
My friend has a aunt who named her as a beneificiary to an insurance policy. She died one year ago and now the policy has been found in the house. My friend went to claim the insurance money, the insurer refused to pay on the ground that the policy required that notice of death be given to it promptly following the death. My friend claimed that she was not bound by the time limitation because she never had agreed to it, since she was not a party to the insurance contract. Is my friend entitled to recover??

If my friend is not bound by the time limitation, is the insurer acting on "bad faith" and not wanting to pay on the policy?

Id like to know the reasons why she can or cant collect.It would be very helpful to get a response by wednesday. Thank you for your time.

Dandy Don

So have you looked at the language on the policy to see if what the insurer said is there? What is the name of this insurance company and what city/state are they located in?

Who found the policy and why didn't this person get access to the home to look through personal papers before now? Normally this is what a relative or executor does within months after the death occurs.

File a complaint about this with the state insurance commissioner for whatever state you live in or for whatever state the insurance company is based in so this can be investigated (do a search engine search on the phrase "STATE INSURANCE COMMISSIONER" and "YOUR STATE" and you should be able to find a website for that commissioner). It seems somewhat of an odd technicality but it won't hurt to fight the company on this and they may cave in.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">