• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life insurance/Will/fairness

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

Venus13

Greetings,
My 52 years old brother died on Sept 16th in the state of Michigan where he resided for more than 16 years. He was single for more than 18 years, neve have a child. He reside with a friend they share the house as a friends, they bought the house together. My brother had his small business, he was a broker.
We ask his associate (which happen to be the person that share the house)if my brother left a will or live insurance. He say no, and that whatever my brother left was his. How do I find out if my brother left a Will, life insurance? How can my mother and father get my brothers' half. My brother was a very important men, running for the embassy of Panama and a very responsable men. If my brother left everything to his friend I understand, but if not? can you help?

Q

Q&DLaw

If your brother did not have a Will, and held any property in his own name (rather than as a joint tenant with his friend), and had no child and no spouse, the law of intestate distribution would mean that your parents would inherit. They should file as the administrator of his estate and get the assets, if there are any.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">