• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brotherhelper

What is the name of your state? TEXAS
MY BROTHER'S WIFE WAS DIAGNOSED IN OCT 2001 WITH TERMINAL CANCER. SHE TOLD MY BROTHER IN JAN 2002, THAT SHE HAD A LIFE INS POLICY FOR HIM TO USE TO PAYOFF THEIR HOUSE, ETC... DURING THE MONTH OF MARCH 2002 SHE CHANGED HER BENEFICIARY (WHICH WAS MY BROTHER) TO THEIR CHILDREN WITHOUT HIS KNOWLEDGE OR CONSENT (SHE PASSED AWAY JUNE 2002). OUR UNDERSTANDING IS THAT FEDERAL LAW STATES A SPOUSE HAS TO SIGN A CONSENT FOR CHANGE AND AS WELL, WE LIVE IN A COMMUNITY PROPERTY STATE, WHICH IS NOT SUPPOSE TO ALLOW THIS CHANGE OF BENEFICIARY DUE TO THE FACT HE WAS SUPPOSE TO CONSENT TO THE CHANGE IN WRITING. WE UNDERSTAND HE CAN DISPUTE THIS ILLEGAL CHANGE, BUT HOW?? HE WAS TOLD BY HIS PROBATE ATTORNEY THAT HE COULDN'T FIND A LAW/CODE AND UNLESS MY BROTHER GIVES HIM THE INFORMATION, HE CAN'T HELP WITH THE DISPUTE. HOW CAN WE GET THIS LAW? MY BROTHER IS DESPERATE, HE NEEDS HELP. HE DOES NOT HAVE THE INTERNET SO I'M TRYING TO HELP HIM. I BELIEVE IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE POLICY PROCEEDS WHICH ARE "MARITAL ASSETS".

racer72

You will be more likely to get a proper response if you post your message in the Wills and Probate forum and DO NOT TYPE IN ALL CAPITAL LETTERS. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">