• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life insurance

• Thread starter Darrell Griffin
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Darrell Griffin

My daughter passed away recently. She has life insurance policies through her employer. I am named as beneficiary on her signed form. After her marriage she had filled out a form naming her husband as beneficiary but never signed it. The insurance company wants her husband and I to "work it out between us". What do I do? Oregon.

[Edited by Darrell Griffin on 01-09-2001 at 05:06 PM]

ALawyer

This is a moral issue, as legally if she did not sign it and file it you, and not he are her beneficiary.

I guess the issues I'd look at re:

1. How long were they together -- both married and before her death?
2. Was her death in any way the result of his actions?
3. Was he a good friend and husband?
4. Did they incur any expenses together that should
be reimbursed? (If so, regardless, I'd reimburse him to that extent.)
5. Was there any other life insurance or IRA or 401k or assets of the marriage, and if so, who got what?
6. Did he marry her for her money -- or yours?
7. Do you expect you would maintain any relationship with him, his family, or friends in common?

My condolences on your loss, and his

T

thethingskidsdo?

I thought I might be able to help on this one as I know the insurance biz but ALawyer is right. This is a moral issue.
I am so sorry for your loss, I lost a daughter 9 years ago and I know how difficult it can be, so honor your daughters wishes and do what she wanted done with the money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">