• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dawn51460

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Rhode Island

My Mother passed away on Jan 19 2009, in the months before she passed she had my name put on her Life Insurance Policies, now my nephew is challenging this stating that he is taking me to court, she signed the Beneficiary change form took my brothers name off (he passed away 9/08) and put my name on as beneficiary, can he do this?

Last edited:

anteater

now my nephew is challenging this stating that he is taking me to court,.. can he do this?
Yes. Our legal system allows just about everybody to have their day in court if they have the energy and resources to take it there.

But remember... There are big differences between "can", "will", and "has."

Make your claim to the insurance company pronto. If the company has no problem with the beneficiary change, you should be able to have the proceeds in hand before nephew knows what is happening. He may think twice about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">