• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Life Insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bradford Peters

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia, I am trying to find about about the taxes on a life insurance policy, if I am not related to the person the policy name was in. Such as if my partner dies, do I pay taxes on the money from the policy as sole person in the will.

anteater

Generally, life insurance proceeds are not subject to income tax. And even in the odd case where they were taxable, the relationship of the beneficiary to the policy owner and/or insured is not relevant.

If the deceased is the owner of the policy, the proceeds would be included in the gross estate upon which the federal estate tax is based. Whether a federal estate tax is due depends on: 1) the value of the entire estate; and 2) what the estate tax law looks like when the owner passes away. We can't guess at #1. And #2 is up in the air right now. The betting line seems to favor the exclusion of the first $3.5 million from estate tax.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">