• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

life insurance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sarabelle

i live in kentucky. i purchased a life insurance policy to be used for my childrens' college years if need be. i don't know how to safely designate how the money should be given out. i don't have a need at this time for a will. can i just designate an executor to the policy and have a copy saved of my wishes that are also given to that person?

ALawyer

You have illustrated one of the major shortcomings of Life Insurance and 401(k), and IRA beneficiary designations.

These plans make it real easy to make a simple beneficiary designation. And you can even name several people as beneficiaries. In the event of death the procceds of the policy or plan would go directly to the beneficiary and avoid going thru probate. But complicated designations, with all sorts of contingencies, are rare.

Why not name the kids as beneficiaries directly. If the beneficiaries are under 18 at the time of death, the money is held for them (with interest) until they are of age. And at 18 they get it; of course if they decide to get a new car instead of attend college, poof, there goes the money. Only a type of trust agreement would permit the money to be held and used only for schooling, etc., but that is expensive.

By the way, you should have at least a simple Will anyway. Even if you have very little. You do have furniture and personal items. And if you are in an accident, for example, and suffer for a week before passing on, the compensation for that suffering would be paid to your estate, and your heirs at law would have a more difficult time collecting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">